Stone dust is a waste material which is obtained from the crusher plants. Researchers have shown that stone dust can be used as the partial replacement for the sand in the concrete and be using it has a positive impact on the strength of the concrete. The strength of the concrete increases when the quantity of the dust is increased up to 60%, after 60% the strength of the concrete tends to decrease but the strength of the concrete remains more than traditional concrete at every level of replacement. However, the slump of the concrete tends to decrease abruptly with the increase of the percentage of dust in the concrete.
Advantages of using Stone Dust
- Eco-friendly as it is a waste product of crusher plants.
- Increases the strength of the concrete when compared to river sand.
- Easily available in the market.
Disadvantages of using Stone Dust
- As the slump decreases with increase in the replacement, workability decreases.
- The particles of the dust are very fine which causes shrinkage/Expansion.
- Its cost is comparable to river sand, it is not cheaper than river sand.
Stone dust can be used as the partial or the full replacement of river sand in the concrete in case of non-availability of river sand. However, the optimum replacement level should be 60% for better strength of the concrete.